Monday, November 29, 2010

Walking in the Truth

Today's reading: II John

I was overjoyed to find some of your children walking in the truth just as we have been commanded by the Father. II John 4 NRSV

I don't know how old the "elect lady's" children are at the time of this letter. But the writer of II John has obviously met her children. Some of these same children are following Jesus. The implied message is that not all of them are doing so. Perhaps also some of these same children are believers in Jesus but are following a different teacher who would be called a deceiver.

As a parent, I struggle with helping my own child follow Jesus. I do all I can as a pastor but sometimes I wonder how well I am doing as a parent. There have been some teachable moments but am I doing all I can to make sure my child is praying, reading scripture and learning more about the Christian life? Helping with a class of sixth graders has made me realize that our children know little about church, believing or the bible by this age. What can I do as a parent to change that?

What can you do to help children you know walk in the truth?

God, I don't have the answers. I need your help to guide the children I know and care about. May you provide the means and ways for me to teach them your truths. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment