Saturday, March 12, 2011

Bedtime Rituals

I will lie down in peace and sleep, for you alone, O Lord, will keep me safe. Psalm 4: 8 NLT

Here is my list of bedtime rituals:

1) Shower, brush teeth, put on sleepwear, set out clothes for the morning
2) Say prayers with and tuck in our child.
3) Check in with my spouse.
4) Spend some time relaxing (watching television or reading)
5) Make sure all outside doors are locked and outside lights are on.
6) Turn out the inside lights - basement, den, kitchen living room, bedroom
7) Say a sleepy prayer with spouse
8) Snuggle under the covers and try to go to sleep

Hmmm. I keep adding stuff to this list but nowhere do I find that I am laying down to sleep in peace. Instead I  am  trying tp\o create my own atmosphere of safety with all these rituals (checking in, relaxing) and safety measures (turning on outside lights and locking doors).

The psalmist reminds me that all these measures are only a mock of what peace and safety that God can provide. It doesn't mean I should abandon these rituals. I just should not put my trust in them as much as in God.

Make a list of your bedtime rituals. Then, pray this prayer:

God, I have this list of things I do before going to bed. I like to think these help me get to sleep and/or keep me safe during the night. But you know better. You make me lie down in peace and sleep, for you alone, O Lord, will keep me safe. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment