Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sick At Heart

O Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger or discipline me in your rage. Have compassion on me, Lord, for I am weak. Heal me, Lord, for my body is in agony. I am sick at heart. How long, O Lord, until you restore me? Psalm 6: 1-3 NLT

During the season of Lent it is customary to have some kind of prayer of confession during worship. Because of what Jesus did for each of us, we come to this time admitting our faults and realizing how far we have let ourselves drift from God. We promise to turn over a new leaf, to do better this next year. But even in being penitent, we overlook how God may be really seeing us. Perhaps we think that if we can just do this right, God will forget all about our wrongdoings.

The psalmist has done something that has greatly angered God. The psalmist also realizes their wrong. I am weak, in agony and sick at heart God. When will you stop being angry at me? When will you have compassion on me? When will you restore our relationship, God?

The psalmist knows that God is not going to forget the wrongdoings but that God does have compassion and mercy. God is willing to forgive.

Are you willing to truly admit your wrongdoings?

God, you are willing to restore us but we must be willing to honestly see our wrongdoings. Help us to have eyes to see and hearts quick to realize our faults. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims 

No comments:

Post a Comment