Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Jaws of Death

Lord, have mercy on me. See how I suffer at the hands of those who hate me. Snatch me back from the jaws of death. Save me, so I can praise you publicly at Jerusalem's gate, so I can rejoice that you have rescued me. Psalm 9: 13-14 NLT

Okay, in the midst of praising God for defeating and judging enemy nations, we have this very personal plea to be saved. Where did this come from? The enemy is being defeated, the battle seems to be going well, God is on this person's side. Yet, they are so close to death! Was this a way to charm God into saving a person? First list all the good things God is doing then slip in a "please save my life" request? I think I would have started with the plea if I was that close to death.

Perhaps the circumstances are not a matter of life and death as they are about saving face. Maybe the battle is going well but one's peers and advisers are taking advantage of the chaos without to cause conflict and chaos within.  National problems are now professional difficulties. It was business but now it is personal.

Has that ever happened to you? Did downsizing where you worked become a personal vendetta against you or someone you know? Did I change in administration mean that you were overlooked for a promotion? Did you begin a revolution at work that became an opportunity to let you go? Were you ever in a group in which a big overhaul meant that people who had a personal vendetta against you could use this to get rid of you?

I think we have all asked to be snatched from the "jaws of death" in order to praise God for saving us. May we realize that God has done just that for us through the cross and the empty tomb.

God, have mercy on me. Thank you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment