Monday, April 4, 2011

Thank the Lord

I will thank the Lord because he is just; I will sing praise to the name of the Lord Most High. Psalm 7:17 NLT

I will thank God because God is just. Yet, this is the same God who gives up his only son into our hands, that allows Jesus to be tortured and killed although he was completely innocent. Is that just? We know that his death and resurrection allowed us to be given salvation. But justice?

Or mercy?

Wouldn't justice mean that anyone who had something to do with Jesus' trial and death be eternally punished, no matter how repentant they became? That would include Peter, James, John, Joseph of Arimathea, the soldiers ... me and you.

Should we be praising God because of God's justice?

I want to think I sing praises to God because of God's mercy and love. Perhaps I find myself singing to a just God when I have been wronged and God has made things right. But our praises really shouldn't depend upon what God could do for us. We should praise God because of who God is and what God has done beyond justice.

God, we thank you because you are merciful. We sing praises to your glorious name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment