Friday, April 15, 2011

Why do you hide when I need you most?

O Lord, why do you stand so far away? Why do you hide when I need you most? Psalm 10:1 NLT

I was reading a commentary recently concerning Jesus' quote of Psalm 22 from the cross (My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?). The article stated that in Jesus' day if you quoted the first verse or line of a scripture, you were actually quoting the entire chapter. I suppose if you had studied scripture closely enough, you, the listener, would be able to remember the rest of the chapter and could say it to yourself.

The psalms were not only studied but sung or chanted in worship, so it would be very familiar to most Jews.  I was thinking of some familiar hymns we would know today. What if I said: "Amazing grace how sweet the sound." Would you be able to continue that verse? How about the whole hymn?

The remainder of this psalm is a lament against the wicked and how they seem to get away with doing evil all the time. For me this verse is the most powerful of the whole psalm, perhaps because it is the only verse that is personal. And I have had times in my life when God seemed far away or it felt like God was hiding from me.

Here the psalmist feels the absence of God because the wicked are not only getting away with doing bad things but they are also succeeding in life. The wicked have prospered so much that they even deny the existence of God. The psalmist is ready for God to step in and do something about these awful people.

Are you ready for God to step in and take action in your life?

God, why do you sometimes seem to stand so far away? Why does it seem like you hide when I need you most? Help me, God, help me! In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment