Friday, June 17, 2011

Swept like dirt into the gutter

I chased my enemies and caught them; I did not stop until they were conquered. I struck them down so they could not get up they fell beneath my feet. You have armed with with strength for the battle; you have subdued my enemies under my feet. You have made them turn and run; I have destroyed all who hated me. They called for help, but no one came to rescue them. They cried to the Lord, but he refused to answer them. I ground them as fine as dust carried by the wind. I swept them into the gutter like dirt. Psalm 18: 37-42 NLT

Well, this is a nice positive story about ultimate revenge. Who wouldn't want their enemies ground under their feet as fine as dust and swept into the gutter like dirt? I have destroyed all who hated me; the end.

What I find the most positive is that the one doing all the destroying describes how the enemies have fallen. However, they don't take all the credit for it. God has armed them for the battle. God has given them the strength to subdue. God has not listened to their cries for help even as the psalmist is grinding them to fine powder.

The victory is ultimately God's. Vindication such as this can only happen with God's help. Perhaps you and I can only stand back and let God do the destroying. Certainly, we would only too eagerly want to completely destroy our enemies. God may want to be available in case there is any saving needed in the situation.

God, you give us the victory. You also are the one who takes care of your own enemies. Help us to love our enemies and leave the vindictive stuff to you. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment