Monday, September 19, 2011

May we be godly, not rich

It is better to be godly and have little than to be evil and posses much. For the strength of the wicked will be shattered, but the Lord takes care of the godly. Psalm 37: 16-17 NLT

It is better to be a faithful follower of God than to be rich and own lots of stuff.

On the one hand, I would like my own child to learn this lesson. But on the other, I need to learn it first.

I can't tell you how many of my friends and relatives seem to have more than me. Better cars, nicer and newer clothes, fancier houses, and expensive vacations to exotic locales. And let's not even talk about the parents at my son's private school!

Scripture makes it plain that what is important is not what you own or how much money you have.

The important thing is to be godly, to be right with God. Instead of looking at possessions, I need to be looking at my prayer life. How rich is that right now? Am I reading God's word for my own benefit or others'? Am I trusting God or am I consumed with jealousy? Am I focused on worship or focused on comparing with others? Am I a godly person?

How about you?

God, may we be godly. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment