Saturday, October 22, 2011

I do not count on my sword to save me

You are my King and my God. You command victories for your people. Only by your power can we push back our enemies; only in your name can we trample our foes. I do not trust my bow; I do not count on my sword to save me. It is you who gives us victory over our enemies; it is you who humbles those who hate us. O God, we give glory to you all day long and constantly praise your name. Psalm 44: 4-8 NLT

I love these words: I do not trust my bow, I do not count on my sword to save me.

How many of the folks you know have been counting on their jobs, their work skills to “save” them, yet find themselves unemployed? Many who have lost their jobs also lose to despondency and depression. Their skills and their work was their life. Where is God in all this?

The psalmist teaches us that it is God who does the commanding, the hiring, and the firing. God is the one who gives the victory and the humility. God gives us the power to push back our enemies and trample on our foes – including unemployment and recessions.

Perhaps all of us – employed and unemployed – should be praying this prayer:

You are my King and my God. You command victories for your people. Only by your power can we push back our enemies; only in your name can we trample our foes. I do not trust my skills; I do not count on my relationships and contacts to save me. It is you who gives us victory over unemployment, unfair wages and scheming supervisors; it is you who humbles those who hate us. O God, we give glory to you all day long and constantly praise your name. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment