Saturday, December 3, 2011

Instead, it is you

It is not an enemy who taunts me – I could bear that. It is not my foes who so arrogantly insult me – I could have hidden from them. Instead, it is you – my equal, my companion and close friend. What good fellowship we enjoyed as we walked together to the house of God. Psalm 55: 12-14 NLT

I could bear it if it was an enemy who made fun of me. If the people I hate are hating me back, I can handle that. But it is my best friend, my equal, my peer who is insulting me. What happened to our companionship in the church? What happened to our friendship? Why is this person who I considered my closest companion being so mean to me?

I am the kind of person who has a hard time making and keeping friends. Sure, I have a lot of good acquaintances but few good friends. The good friends that I do make often move to other states! I have had times when I have had a falling out with a friend and I can admit my part of the misunderstandings. However, I haven't had a so-called friend make fun of me since elementary school. So, while I can feel for the psalmist and his deeply hurt feelings, I can't exactly claim a similar experience.

How about you? Have you ever had a good friend become an enemy of sorts? Did you ever wonder what happened to your friendship or do you know the moment you were no longer friends? If you had to relive that friendship over, what would you do differently? Do you think they were the taunter or were you?

God, you give us friends as gifts. Help us to find a friend who will be as loyal as Jonathan was to David. If we already have such a friend, help us to treat them as a precious gift. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment