Thursday, January 19, 2012

Keeping your Promise

Now I come to your Temple with burnt offerings to fulfill the vows I made to you – yes, the sacred vows that I made when I was in deep trouble. That is why I am sacrificing burnt offerings to you – the best of my rams as a pleasing aroma, and a sacrifice of bulls and male goats. Psalm 66: 13-15 NLT

Have you ever made a vow to God? That is, have you ever promised God that you would do something for God in exchange for something else? Maybe if you received a certain grade in school, got a coveted promotion at work, were healed of a sickness or even lived through a near-death experience you would give your life over to God or always obey God's will. Did you get what you asked for? How have you held up on your part of the bargain?

The psalmist has made a vow. We don't know what it was but we do know that he was “in deep trouble.” Coming to the temple and offering these sacrifices probably did cost the psalmist some money as well as time. Rams, bulls and goats were never cheap and it seems like they have all been offered at once. There must have been some serious trouble and some intent vows!

The important part is that the psalmist has kept his word. No matter the cost, he is willing to fulfill his part of the bargain. In fact, he is giving the best of his own animals to God for a “pleasing aroma.” This is a selfless gift given to God.

Vow or not, what selfless gifts do you owe to God?

God, may I fulfill my promises made to you. May I continue to do your will and follow your guidance in all that I do beginning this very day. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment