Saturday, February 25, 2012

It Isn't Fair

Truly God is good to Israel, to those whose hearts are pure. But as for me, I almost lost my footing. My feet were slipping, and I was almost gone. For I envied the proud when I saw them prosper despite their wickedness. They seem to live such painless lives; their bodies are so healthy and strong. They don't have troubles like other people; they're not plagued with problems like everyone else. They wear pride like a jeweled necklace and clothe themselves with cruelty. These fat cats have everything their hearts could ever wish for! Psalm 73: 1-7 NLT

Who do you envy?

When I look around and see the people I envy, I notice that many of them don't even attend church. A few of them may consider themselves Christian. Most of them probably couldn't be bothered unless it got them something: power, votes, prestige, etc. Like the psalmist, they seem to have pain free and stressless lives. All kinds of good things seem to come to them with ease.

But I tell myself that I have something even more precious: a close and abiding relationship with God. And I also remind myself that the appearances of the folks I am jealous of are probably only facades of what is really going on with the proud who prosper.

God, help me to remain a person whose heart is pure. Take away my jealousy and envy. Let me be content with what I have and happy in our relationship, even when life takes ugly turns. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2012 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment