Saturday, February 4, 2012

Save me, O God.

Save me, O God, for the floodwaters are up to my neck. Deeper and deeper I sink into the mire; I can't find a foothold. I am in deep water, and the floods overwhelm me. I am exhausted from crying for help; my throat is parched. My eyes are swollen with weeping, waiting for my God to help me. Those who hate me without cause outnumber the hairs on my head. Many enemies try to destroy me with lies, demanding that I give back what I didn't steal. Psalm 69: 1-5 NLT

Often we can have a couple of bad things happen and we may fuss but then we go on. But sometimes things can really seem to pile up on top of one another and life just begins to get to us. I'm not talking an absolute tragedy. I am talking about when things pile up one after another. You get a late notice, your cell phone falls in the commode, your daughter totals your car, you have to have major dental work, your company is being restructured, and they made a mistake on your credit card bill. That paper cut you get in the next five minutes is not going to be a minor incident. You are going to be screaming things you would not say in church.

Those are what come to my mind when the psalmist says he is up to his neck in flood waters. He is sinking deeper and deeper into the muck. He has been crying, weeping, calling out to God. Enemies seem to be multiplying so much that they are more than the hairs on his head. It has even come to being blamed for a crime he did not commit.

What do you do when you get up to your neck in life? What happens when you cry out to God but things continue to pile up? How do you handle having others act like enemies?

I often lose my temper. But, I should probably spend more time in prayer and perhaps give poetic voice to my complaints, much like the psalmist did.

God, save me. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2012 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment