Monday, February 27, 2012

Why be Christian?

Did I keep my heart pure for nothing? Did I keep myself innocent for no reason? I get nothing but trouble all day long, every morning brings me pain. If I had spoken this way to others, I would have been a traitor to your people. So I tried to understand why the wicked prosper. But what a difficult task it is! Psalm 73: 13-16 NLT

Now we are starting to really feel some self-pity! The psalmist has been complaining about how wicked people not only get away with their bad behavior but they succeed in life as well. They are powerful and wealthy. At this point the psalmist is beginning to wonder why they have kept themselves so good and pure. Was this all for nothing?

Sometimes it does seem that way. We try to understand why we must suffer when non-believers appear to live practically painless lives. God never gives us a guarantee of an easy life. In reading scripture, it seems as though most of the faithful do suffer for their faith. Christ, Paul, John the Baptist and many of the prophets lost their lives because of following God. At this point, one does begin to wonder why anyone would be a Christian.

Yet, being a believer also means the rich reward of living close to and rightly with God. When we do suffer, we have one to whom we can vent. We have one to whom we can appeal for help and protection. God is our rock, our redeemer and our strength. God also brings contentment for what we do have. And God can take away our jealousy of others.

God, thank you for your insights this day as to why the wicked prosper. We still don't understand it but we are grateful for your love and mercy on our lives this and every day. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2012 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment