Saturday, March 17, 2012

Listen

O my people, listen to my instructions. Open your ears to what I am saying, for I will speak to you in a parable. I will teach you hidden lessons from our past – stories we have heard and known, stories our ancestors handed down to us. We will not hide these truths from our children; we will tell the next generation about the glorious deeds of the Lord, about his power and his mighty wonders. Psalm 78: 1-4 NLT

Are you a good listener?

I have been told I listen well. But I also speak well. Those two don't go together, do they? Many times I am speaking when I should be listening. My time with God is no exception.

When you spend time in your devotional or prayer time, how much of it is reading devotionals like this one? How much of that time is spent talking to God? And how much time do you spend listening?

I have to admit, I don't spend as much time as I should. Prayer should be a conversation between us and God. Yet, we are guilty of simply having monologues with God. If you have ever been around someone who talks nonstop and never lets you get a word in edgewise, you get an idea of how God feels. God has things to say to us and we aren't listening.

Yet, the psalmist wants us to listen – to hear what God has done. Spend at least one minute right now in listening to God.

God, help me to listen.                                                                                  Amen.

Copyright 2012 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment