Sunday, March 4, 2012

No More Miracles?

We no longer see your miraculous signs. All the prophets are gone, and no one can tell us when it will end. How long, O God will you allow our enemies to insult you? Will you let them dishonor your name forever? Why do you hold back your strong right hand? Unleash your powerful fist and destroy them. Psalm 74: 9-11 NLT

We no longer see your miraculous signs. I hear that so often these days.

I wonder if it has to do with the fact that we have tried our best to get rid of the miraculous. We want everything explained in a well-understood scientific fashion. Now, don't get me wrong. I don't discount science. I think that science can be an instrument of God's miracles and I also think science can be a way to see God's miracles. But we aren't looking for God when we want these explanations. We want reason and logic instead.

But reason and logic don't fit too well with miraculous signs. In fact, even when miracles happen all around us we tend to want them explained. Why can't modern medical treatments and technology be considered miracles? You and I are miracles. Our inventions and creations should be miracles, too.

God help us to see all the miraculous signs that you are creating in our world and our lives each day. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2012 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment