Friday, March 23, 2012

What do you crave?

They ate the food of angels! God gave them all they could hold. He released the east wind in the heavens and guided the south wind by his mighty power. He rained down meat as thick as dust – birds as plentiful as the sand on the seashore! He caused the birds to fall within their camp and all around their tents. The people ate their fill. He gave them what they craved. Psalm 78: 25-29 NLT

What do you crave?

I am writing this devotional during Lent in which I have given up chocolate. I therefore crave chocolate. I crave chocolate anything – mocha lattes, ice cream, chocolate bars, brownies, German chocolate cake, death by chocolate, and chocolate chip cookies. The problem seems to be that I have tried to substitute other deserts for this chocolate but it does not have the same effect. I only crave chocolate.

God responded to what the rebelling people desired by providing so much of it that they were almost sick. He rained down meat as think as dust and as plentiful as the sand on the seashore! I think this was a bit sarcastic on God's part but also quite effective. It was almost as if God says: “So you think I can't provide meant? Well, here's an answer to that! I can not only provide meat but I will provide it until you are sick of it. Your cravings will be so far gone that you will wish you had not thought about meat.”

How will God respond to your cravings? Do you trust that he will give you what you crave?

God, I trust that you will meet my needs and fulfill the desires of my heart. Help my unbelief! In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2012 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment