Sunday, May 13, 2012

You have driven my friends away


You have driven my friends away by making me repulsive to them. I am in a trap with no way of escape. My eyes are blinded by my tears. Each day I beg for your help, O Lord: I lift my hands to you for mercy. Psalm 88: 8-9 NLT

Okay, I admit that I don't have any friends. Yes, lots of good acquaintances and certainly my social network is pretty full. But that doesn't mean I have friends.

I suppose I could blame God. Perhaps I am repulsive to others. Maybe my demeanor, my calling or my physical appearance puts others off. Is my personality such that I scare others away? Well, of course God created me just as I am. So, I can blame God, right?

Or can I? Sometimes you have to admit that you have as much responsibility at the next person -- this includes God.

But that doesn't mean I have stopped praying for a friend. And perhaps that is where we can admire and learn from the psalmist. Even though he feels trapped, he continues to lift up his hands to God for mercy.

God, I beg for you for help. I lift up my hands to you for mercy. Please hear my prayer. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2012 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment