Saturday, July 21, 2012

God is our Father


The Lord is like a father to his children, tender and compassionate to those who fear him. For he knows how weak we are; he remembers we are only dust. Our days on earth are like grass; like wildflowers, we bloom and die. The wind blows, and we are gone – as though we had never been here. But the love of the Lord remains forever with those who fear him. His salvation extends to the children's children of those who are faithful to his covenant, of those who obey his commandments! Psalm 103: 13-18 NLT

Have you ever had someone be afraid of you? I remember helping out with Vacation Bible School one year at a church where I was the story teller. I had to reenact the story of David and Goliath. One of the groups had 3 year olds. When I came out like a mean Goliath character, I scared one of the girls in the class. Boy did I do a 180 from that point on! I did not want her to be afraid of me, so I was extra nice and loving.

The psalmist tells us that God is like that – tender and compassionate toward us who fear him. I think of this fear in terms of healthy respect and top priority rather than quaking in my boots. God knows are weaknesses – from our bodies' finite life to our sinful nature. God provides salvation and rules to help us.

God, you love remains forever with us when we fear you. Help us to treat you as a loving parent, looking out for us, your children. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2012 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment