Monday, July 30, 2012

God will not abandon you


He called for a famine on the land of Canaan, cutting off its food supply. Then he sent someone to Egypt ahead of them – Joseph, who was sold as a slave. They bruised his feet with fetters and placed his neck in an iron collar. Until the time came to fulfill his dreams, the Lord tested Joseph's character. Then Pharaoh sent for him and set him free; the ruler of the nation opened his prison door. Joseph was put in charge of all the king's household; he became ruler over all the king's possession. He could instruct the king's aides as he pleased and teach the king's advisers. Psalm 105: 16-22 NLT

I have never considered Joseph's trials as being ways of God testing Joseph's character. But when you think about it, it makes perfect sense. Joseph was the spoiled son and at the same time the one chosen to save all his family. God gave him an understanding of what he would become and Joseph bragged about it to his family. God then humiliated Joseph, making him into a slave. Even when he was a trusted servant, God still wanted to make sure he would come through with integrity. He did but was rewarded by being placed in prison. God never abandoned him and God helped him succeed wherever he was. However, he needed to learn the lessons of humility, leadership and dependance on God. He would never have done so as the favored son back in Canaan.

Are you going through a trial in your life right now?

Or have you ever been through a trial?

What lessons can you learn or what lessons did you learn? Do you think God is testing your character?

God, I know you love me. I also know you want me to be the best I can be. I understand you may test me and place obstacles in my path – not for me to fail but for me to become stronger. Please help me through these times, Lord. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2012 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment