Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Big Head


Oh, how I love your instructions! I think about them all day long. Your commands make me wiser than my enemies, for they are my constant guide. Yes, I have more insight than my teachers, for I am always thinking of your laws. I am even wiser than my elders, for I have kept your commandments. I have refused to walk on any evil path, so that I may remain obedient to your word. I haven’t turned away from your regulations, for you have taught me well. How sweet your words taste to me; they are sweeter than honey. Your commandments give me understanding; no wonder I hate every false way of life. Psalm 119: 97-104 NLT

These verse remind me of Jesus as a boy in the temple. I can imagine him living these out -- being wiser and having more insight than his enemies and teachers!

However, I don’t think anyone else could do such boasting. 

Is the psalmist getting “the big head?”

Sure, it is good that he is thinking about God’s instructions all day long, using them as his constant guide. It is good that he has refused to walk any evil path or turned away from God’s regulations. It is fabulous that he hates any false way of life.

But I don’t think there is too much room for boasting. Shouldn’t following God be its own reward, without bragging about it? 

Yet, how many times do you and I feel better and more superior when we are reading these devotionals or spending time in prayer? Do we feel like we are wiser or have more insight than others? Even when other people see us as deeply spiritual, we need to be careful to not think of ourselves as better. 

God, protect me from being a boastful and prideful Christian. Give me the gift of humility in all things. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Copyright Amelia G. Sims 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment