Thursday, October 11, 2012

When will you comfort me?


I am worn out waiting for your rescue, but I have put my hope in your word. My eyes are straining to see your promises come true. When will you comfort me? I am shriveled like a wineskin in the smoke, but I have not forgotten to obey your decrees. How long must I wait? When will you punish those who persecute me? These arrogant people who hate your instructions have dug deep pits to trap me. All your commands are trustworthy. Protect me from those who hunt me down without cause. They almost finished me off, but I refused to abandon your commandments. In your unfailing love, spare my life; then I can continue to obey your laws. Psalm 119: 81-88 NLT

How do you follow God when everything and everyone around you is either trying to hurt you or lead you astray? 

In this part of Psalm 119, the psalmist seems to be focused on the attacks rather than on God. 

He is worn out waiting for rescue, straining to see God’s promises fulfilled.

He is withered like a wineskin in smoke.

He is still waiting.

Arrogant people have dug deep traps for him. They are hunting him without cause. They are about to finish him off.

Yet, he has not give up hope. He asks when God will comfort him, when God will punish his persecutors. He still claims all God’s commands are trustworthy. He asks that God spare his life so that he can continue to obey God’s laws. 

He follows God even the face of death and persecution.

God, I will not give hope in you, no matter what others try to do to me. My hope is you, my God and my redeemer. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Copyright Amelia G. Sims 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment