Thursday, November 29, 2012

Please hurry!

O Lord, I am calling to you. Please hurry! Listen when I cry to you for help! Accept my prayer as incense offered to you, and my upraised hands as an evening offering. Psalm 141: 1-2 NLT

I don't know about you, but these verses are the perfect prayer for the upcoming busy season. How many times will we ask for God's presence, help and consolation when we feel overwhelmed by what is supposed to be "the most wonderful time of the year?" There is no better time to praise God and give ourselves as an offering.

The best part is the offering part. For, if we really admit to ourselves, it is our own fault for being so busy. We are the ones who either made the plans or said yes to someone else's plans. In some instances, we get a wake up call and are able to say "No!" quite firmly.

For me, this Advent and Christmas season will be a time to say "No." My mother-in-law needs to have around the clock care for several weeks so she is staying with us. Believe me, the "in-law" part of that statement is not what I am talking about. Having to care for someone -- beyond just having another person in the home -- takes more energy and time. The stress level is bumped up. This year, I am really considering what is absolutely necessary and what can be let go.

Therefore, when I call on the Lord and ask God to hurry up, I am not the one at fault for getting into this mess in the first place!

How about you?

O Lord, I am calling to you. Please hurry! Listen when I cry to you for help! Accept my prayer as incense offered to you, and my upraised hands as an evening offering. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2012 Amelia G. Sims


No comments:

Post a Comment