Thursday, December 20, 2012

My Favorite Christmas


My Favorite Christmas

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is from God; everyone who loves is born of God and knows God....for God is love. I John 4:7-­8

As I write this, we are rushing headlong into another Christmas season. Amelia, Thomas and I went out to a store this afternoon and the crowds were there, rushing about and buying gifts. What better time to stop for a few moments and consider.....what is it you hope for, REALLY hope for, this Christmas?
I’m not talking gifts here, at least not the kind that come in packages. I’m talking about spending your greatest gift – time – with the people you love and who love you.

By the time you read this, we will have done many of the Christmas activities. We have “hung the greens,” we have lit the Advent wreath, we have enjoyed our children in their Christmas pageant, we have sung Christmas carols. Each activity has been a time to share time with our church family, to remember the story of God’s love come down to us in the person of a tiny child, and to build memories for the future.

When people ask me, “What was your favorite Christmas?” my response is, “This one.” This one, that is happening now all around us.

Prayer: Lord, thank you for the Christmas season. Thank you for the opportunity you have given us to spend time with one another. Help us to be intentional about sharing the gift of ourselves this Christmas. Amen.

Brother Ed Sims 
(And husband of Amelia!)


No comments:

Post a Comment