Sunday, December 23, 2012

What's For Dinner?


What’s for Dinner?

I was hungry, and you gave me food. I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink. Matthew 25:35

What’s for dinner? How many times have you heard this phrase or even asked the question yourself? Most times we learn that it is chicken, spaghetti or left overs. I know at the Ennis’ home the answer is usually Frontier or Munoz! But do you realize there are numerous people right here in Birmingham that never know what’s for dinner or even breakfast or lunch. I’m talking about the homeless population right around us. Our youth and additional church members have had the privilege of serving meals at the Firehouse Shelter. Every one that knows me knows I have a germ phobia; but every time I have served at the shelter, I have never felt scared. I know that just serving a simple meal (sometimes it can even be cooked coleslaw) and asking them how their day is going and listening to them is what God is calling us to do! God is Love, He has commanded us to Love others. Our own mission statement reflects this: Love God, Love Others, and Share God’s Love. I encourage you this holiday season and into the beginning of the New Year to think about joining us as we feed the homeless — so that way you will know what’s for dinner!

God’s peace and love to you!

Lori Ennis 

No comments:

Post a Comment