Saturday, January 12, 2013

Skills for Success


Praise the Lord, who is my rock. He trains my hands for war and give my fingers skill for battle. He is my loving ally and my fortress, my tower of safety, my rescuer. He is my shield, and I take refuge in him. He makes the nations submit to me. Psalm 144: 1-2 NLT

Although the war imagery in these verses is disturbing, the idea of God preparing us for life skills, for teaching us to work with our hands for a special purpose is empowering. Certainly, learning skills for battle would have been a good thing for God’s people in the land, although it was God who actually won their battles for them. 

Perhaps that is what we need to remember: God helps us by giving us talents and resources. God helps us find instructors and instruction to learn the skills we need to not only survive but to flourish. Yet, it in the end it is not us who triumph or succeed. It is God’s will and grace that comes through for us. 

Let us remember to give God the glory for our successes. 

God, thank you for your guidance, gifts and teaching. May your name be praised for you have provided for me and given me what I need to succeed in life. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Copyright 2013 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment