Monday, January 14, 2013

The Trap of Lies


Open the heavens, Lord, and come down. Touch the mountains so they billow smoke. Hurl your lightening bolts and scatter you enemies! Shoot your arrows and confuse them! Reach down from heaven and rescue me; rescue me from deep waters, from the power of my enemies. Their mouths are full of lies; they swear to tell the truth, but they lie instead. I will sing a new song to you, O God! I will sing your praises with a ten-stringed harp. For you grant victory to kings! You rescued your servant David from the fatal sword. Save me! Rescue me from the power of my enemies. Their mouths are full of lies; they swear to tell the truth, but they lie instead. Psalm 144: 5-11 NLT

How can we fall into the trap of lies? 

I don’t suppose it is strange that we call the devil the father of lies. 

Sometimes I think the media is full of lies -- is there ever truth there? Certainly, they want us to see the world from their point of view. Doesn’t matter if they are considered right or left in their ideology! They are all the same in their twisting of facts to get their own outcome. 

Yet, we tend to take the media most days on face value. We trust what we hear to be the truth. We also trust that our friends will tell us the truth. Take facebook, for instance. When we see that our good friends say that this happened or that the facebook owners are doing something to revoke our privacy, we trust that they are telling us the truth. However, it is sometimes revealed to be a hoax. Our friends have not willingly lied to us -- they also see this as the truth. We all easily fall into the trap of lies. 

The psalmist reminds us that the only truth we can count on is God’s truth. So, we should sing a new song to God. God gives victory, God overcomes enemies and God will rescue us. 

God, thank you that you speak the truth in my inward being. May I listen to you, and not to those who lie. In Jesus’ name. Amen.



Copyright 2013 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment