Thursday, January 15, 2009

Psalm 139: 1

Although others have written on Psalm 139, I re-read it recently and it really spoke to me. I hope it speaks to you as well. I also invite you to attempt to memorize this psalm, a verse per day – Amelia

O Lord, you have searched me and known me. Psalm 139:1 NRSV

The first verse of this Psalm does not say that God searches for us but that God searches us. God reads our minds, our thoughts, even our personalities. God knows us in every way possible: how we work, how we react, the kinds of actions we take. God even knows those dark corners of our lives that we think are secret from everyone.

In fact, this is not an invitation for God to search us and know us. No, it is the past tense. God has already searched us and known us. God needs no invitation to get to know us better, to wholly know us. God already has a full understanding of who we are.

Instead of an invitation, it is simply a statement of fact. This is almost an attempt to convince oneself that there are no secrets from God. We stand before God just as we are.

God, you have searched me and known me. I am yours. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment