Friday, January 16, 2009

Psalm 139:2

Although others have written on Psalm 139, I re-read it recently and it really spoke to me. I hope it speaks to you as well. I also invite you to attempt to memorize this psalm, a verse per day – Amelia

You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from far away. Psalm 139:2 NRSV

Does this mean that God is far away from me or does it mean that God knows my thoughts way sooner than I have them? If God is far away, I think the blame is with me. I have pushed God away as far as I possibly can. I don't believe in a God far removed from us, somewhere in space. If God knows my thoughts before I even have them that is a scary thought but also very revealing. That is because this means that God gives me free will. God does not change or dispose of my thoughts. God lets me have them all! However, there is no thought that God does not know about.

Paul Young, the author of The Shack, once said in an interview with Drew Marshall that there was nothing in his life that was hidden. He said that his life, motivations, and desires are all exposed. He hides nothing. I wonder how many other people can say the same. I'm sure that writing a best selling book and going on talk shows helps. And web mediums such as blogs help us to express ourselves – sometimes to our shame – but do they really expose the whole person that we are? It is kind of like putting your status on Facebook – it only gives a very small portion of what you are really doing, thinking and being.

Isn't it comforting that God not only knows us thoroughly but loves us anyway?

God – thank you for loving me despite knowing all about me. In Jesus' holy name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment