Saturday, January 17, 2009

Psalm 139: 3

You search out my path and my lying down, and are acquainted with all my ways. Psalm 139: 3 NRSV

Have you ever had a revelation about yourself? Something that you didn't know about yourself or a personality trait or weakness? This week I was spending time trying to define what my strengths and my spiritual gifts meant about me. In the process, I realized my own complex mental and emotional reactions to things that are happening in my life. It just sort of clicked with me why I have been feeling and reacting the way I have. Much of what is going on in my life runs perfectly against who I am – gifts, grace and all. Knowing this doesn't solve any problems but it does help me to be content with who I am and lessons my anxiety and sense of really loosing all my marbles.

However, God already knew all that stuff. It has just taken me awhile to really understand myself. And the timing could not have been better (thank you, God!).

God knows you whether you are awake or asleep. In fact, God knows you much better than you know yourself. And sometimes, God-willing, we all get a glimpse of knowing ourselves almost as well.

God, I am so thankful that you know me so well. Help me to understand myself, too. In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment