Sunday, January 18, 2009

Psalm 139:4

Even before a word is on my tongue, you know it completely. Psalm 139:4

How many times have you opened your mouth only to regret it later? Ever have foot in mouth disease? Ever come away from a conversation saying to yourself: "I can't believe I just said that!" Sometimes we can say the most hurtful, idiotic, unreasonable and unbelievable things. It is part of being human.

On the other hand, maybe you have been with a friend or loved one and said something that meant a lot to them. Perhaps you have spoken a word that healed or brought new insight to your friend. Sometimes we do this without even realizing it - until that other person expresses their gratitude.

Amazingly, God already knows what we are going to say - whether it is sorrowfully stupid or generously graceful. God knows and God still excepts us. Of course, I am certain God would rather we speak thoughtfully, carefully, and lovingly. But God loves us anyway. Thanks be to God!

God, I thank you for your acceptance of me even when I say the wrong things. Help me to watch what comes out of my mouth at all times. In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment