Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A Gift

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life. Indeed, God did not send the Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. John 3:16-17 NRSV

Do you like receiving presents? I do! However, as I have gotten older, I find myself more disappointed in the things I receive than I was as a child. In fact, at this point in life I would rather give a gift than receive a gift. I suppose that is part of my control issues but I digress. The point here is all about a gift.

You see, the verse says that God gave his only Son. God didn't loan his Son or even send his Son. God gave his Son.

Jesus was a gift to the world from God. I really have a hard time getting my mind on giving away your child. My own blood mother did it, though. She gave her baby - the only one she had at the time- to the state. Did she do it out of love or out of desperation? I may never know. She had no knowledge of what would happen to her child.

In giving Jesus to the world, God was giving a great deal to us without the certainty that we would treat God's gift with any respect or appreciation. In fact, God probably knew that God's gift of God's only child would be ill treated.

God was willing to give this gift to the world anyway.

Are we any more willing to receive this gift of Christ today?

God, help us to receive the Gift you give. Amen.

Copyright 2009 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment