Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Some Eternal Thoughts

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life. Indeed, God did not send the Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. John 3:16-17 NRSV

The scripture tells us that we are to believe in Jesus so that we won't perish but will have eternal life. Eternal life. What does that mean to you? Life everlasting? Living forever? Never really dying? I think most of us would point so somewhere in (we hope) our very distant future. But what if the word eternal means more than a lack of future ending. What if it means something that begins right now?

I know that I am not good at waiting. When I go to the checkout line I do not want to get behind someone who is buying fifty items, paying with a social security check and needs a price check and/or return on at least three items. I also don't like the fact that God won't always give me immediate answers to all my prayer requests. It seems I have to pray the same things again and again, waiting for God's answer. So it stands to reason that I am a bit impatient about this eternity deal. I'm not ready to die quite yet but I am ready to receive some of that eternal life Jesus is promising.

What if that eternal life begins now? What if we didn't have to wait but could receive that life, that righteousness, that new life with Christ at this very moment? Wouldn't that be great?

God, we believe. We ask for a New Life in Christ in this moment and for all time. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2009 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment