Monday, August 10, 2009

The Full Armor of God


Stand therefore, and fasten the belt of truth around your waist, and put on the breastplate of righteousness. As shoes for your feet put on whatever will make you ready to proclaim the gospel of peace. With all of these, take the shield of faith, with which you will be able to quench all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Ephesians 6:14-17 NRSV

I put on the full armor of God every day during my devotional time. But for me, it isn't just a bit of metal or even a safety harness. Each part of this armor not only protects but also demands something from me at the same time.

It means that I have to stick to the truth even when it hurts.

I am committed to being in right relationship with God.

I move with the intent of sharing the gospel of peace rather than repentance.

I place around me a shield, knowing that people will say and do things to hurt me but I will remain steadfast in who I am - I won't be wounded and I won't strike out in anger.

I acknowledge God's claim on me as God's child.

And I have a weapon that is sharp yet brings new life to all whom it pierces.

I stand firm with God's help while also being accountable to God's holy power in my daily life.

God, place on me your full armor: the belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, whatever will help my feet share the message of peace, the shield of faith, the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit. In Christ's name. Amen.

Question of the day: Will you take up the full armor of God everyday?

Copyright 2009 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment