Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Prayed For

Pray also for me, so that when I speak, a message may be given to me to make know with boldness the mystery of the gospel for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it boldly, as I must speak. Ephesians 6: 18-20 NRSV

Paul has prayed for the church, instructed the church and now asks for prayers in return.

How do you feel about being prayed for?

I am so uplifted when people pray for me. It is just such a humble feeling yet gives me such energy and affirmation. I find that I need to especially be prayed for before leading worship and/or preaching. In fact, being prayed for by a lay person is one of the most powerful experiences I know.

Now Paul knows good and well that God is going to bring him a message to preach. He doesn't need prayers in order to be filled with the Spirit. He does not seem to have needed prayers for boldness, either.

But Paul also knows the power of praying for someone else and the power of knowing someone else is praying for you. Although you are communicating with God, praying for and being prayed for strengthens your relationship with that other person.

This isn't about getting God to do something. These prayers are about strengthening relationships in the name of Christ.

God, I lift up my preacher to you. I pray that he/she may be given a message that you want to be heard by the congregation. May they preach with boldness the mystery of the gospel. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Question of the day: Who are you praying for? Who is praying for you?

Copyright 2009 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment