Thursday, October 1, 2009

Constant Nagging

Then she said to him, "How can you say, 'I love you,' when your heart is not with me? You have mocked me three times now and have not told me what makes your strength so great." Finally, after she had nagged him with her words day after day, and pestered him, he grew tired to death. Judges 16:15-16 NRSV

Seven fresh bowstrings?

No.

New ropes that have not been used?

No.

Weave seven locks of his head with a web and make it tight with the pin?

No, but close.

Constant nagging?

That might do me in, too.

Makes me think of Jesus' story of the widow who keeps hounding the judge for justice. If we nag God enough about something, will God then answer our prayer? And how many of us nag God enough for God to be sick and tired of our persistance? I am thinking that many of us don't keep it up long enough.

God, we give up too easily. You listen to all we say with great patience. If only we had the strength to keep on with our most heart-felt requests! In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2009 Amelia G. Sims

Question of the day: What do you need to keep on asking God for?

No comments:

Post a Comment