Friday, October 2, 2009

Nothing But the Truth

When Delilah realized he had told her his whole secret, she sent and called the lords of the Philistines, saying, "This time come up, for he has told his whole secret to me." Then the lords of the Philistines came up to her, and brought the money in their hands. Judges 16: 18 NRSV

I have been reading a book lately about truth in the business world and how truth is so important, not just in business but in our personal lives as well. It makes me think of times when I have fudged a bit on the truth in dealing with people in the church and how people in the church have not been truthful with me. Many times, I am naive but there are those times when I know without a doubt that the person is telling me the truth.

Delilah knows that Samson has finally told her the truth. I don't know how she knows - maybe it is the way he says it or what he says (or both) - but she knows this is his secret.

Of course, Samson telling Delilah the truth is not the best example for being a truthful person. Of course, she hasn't been truthful, either. I guess extending truth to those who are truthful in return is the best example.

Does this mean we should be truthful at all times, and hope others are, too?

Seems to me I remember someone saying that the Truth will set you free. That same someone happens to be The Truth.

God, you have shared The Truth with us. May we share it with the world. Amen.

Question of the day: When have you felt you could not tell the truth to someone you loved?

Copyright 2009 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment