Thursday, November 12, 2009

An Endless List

You have multiplied, O Lord my God, your wondrous deeds and your thoughts toward us; none can compare with you, were I to proclaim and tell of them, they would be more than can be counted. Psalm 40:5 NRSV

This verse reminds me of the song that says "List your many blessings, count them one by one...." I cannot recall the song's title but I think of listing out all the things that are right in my life.

I have done this once or twice, especially when it seems like everything is going wrong in life. I simply thank God for a roof over my head, food on the table, clothes to wear and a vehicle to drive. I don't do this kind of thing to make myself as better or more worthy than others. However, I do realize that people in my own neighborhood may be without those same things.

The psalmist points to not just those personal blessings but communal ones as well. Such communal blessings include things like the creation of the universe, a beautiful fall day or God's love for each of us. In fact, what the psalm tells us is that we can never list all of God's blessings; they are simply too many for us to realize. God has given us so very much: there is no end to God's blessings. In the same way, there should be no end to our thankfulness.

God, our thankfulness to you for what you have given us has no end. Thank you! In Jesus' name. Amen.

Name at least one blessing that you are thankful for in this very moment.

Copyright 2009 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment