Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A New Song

I waited patiently for the Lord; he inclined to me and heard my cry. He drew me up from the desolate pit, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure. He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the Lord. Psalm 40: 1-3 NRSV

My life had been one long downward spiral and now I found myself at the lowest of the low points. There was no way I could get myself out of this mess. There was no human being who could help me. In fact, there was no human being who even desired to help me as I had burned those bridges long ago.

So I did the only thing I had left to do, I prayed to God. It was awkward at first because I had not talked to God in so very long, at least not seriously. My prayer was more like a rant that became a humble request for something - I wouldn't call it help but perhaps forgiveness.

To my surprise, God did forgive me. I felt it, I knew it and I can't even explain it or put it into words.

But God did more than that. God helped me get out of the bleak situation that I was in. In fact, God did more than that. God got me out of trouble and caused some wonderful things to happen in my life. God brought back people who loved me and God met more than the most basic needs that I had.

This was not something that I had done, but what God had done. What else could I do but praise and thank God? I could not stop speaking aloud of what God had done in my life. For some reason, this made other people realize the awesome power of God and humbled them greatly. I didn't try to evangelize. The thanks and praise from someone so selfish and caught up in themselves was enough for others to see God for who God is.

A new life, a new chance and a new song: all through God's splended power and and love.

God, only you can give new life. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Name one thing you are thankful for in this moment.

Copyright 2009 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment