Thursday, November 5, 2009

Thanksgiving for God's Support

For who is God except the Lord? And who is a rock besides our God? - the God who girded me with strength, and made my way safe. He made my feet like the feet of a deer, and set me secure on the heights. He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze. You have given me the shield of your salvation, and your right hand has supported me; your help has made me great. You gave me a wide place for my steps under me, and my feet did not slip. Psalm 18: 31-36 NRSV

I pray for God to guide my steps everyday, so I love the imagery of God making my way safe, helping my feet to be swift, and setting me on a secure overlook from where I will not fall. Of course, here the imagery is specific to protection in battle. But don't you think that some days are a battle? Don't you and I need God's guidance and warrior training to be victorious?

The verse that speaks to me most in a thankful sense is verse 35: You have given me the shield of your salvation, and your right hand has supported me; your help has made me great. God gives us the tools we need like a shield. God also lends concrete support like someone helping a lady down from a high place or a mighty leader giving their powerful backing to someone not so great or important. And the thankfulness is truly felt when there is the verbal realization that it is God, not ourselves, that makes us great.

God, thank you for your support in our everyday life. It is you, not us, that make us victorious in our own battles. Thank you! In Jesus' name. Amen.

Name one thing you are thankful for in this moment.


Copyright 2009 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment