Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Thanksgiving: Making A List

I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer, my God, my rock in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, so I shall be saved from my enemies. Psalm 18: 1-3 NRSV

How many times in the month of November have you and I been asked to make a list of what we are thankful for? I know when we sit down with my father-in-law at Thanksgiving, he will ask each person to say what they are thankful for. Often I find myself writing in my devotional (!) a list of what I am thankful for in this season.

However, listing our thanks in God's hearing should be a way of life for us as Christians, not just a once a year American tradition.

The psalmist in Psalm 18 begins by listing some names for God that are real in the psalmist's life:
God the one whom I love;
God as the one who not only gives but is our strength;
God the rock;
God who is our fortress;
God that delivers;
God who is my God;

God the rock in whom we take refuge or protection;
God as our shield;
God who is the horn, the announcer and bringer of my own salvation;
God is our stronghold, our ultimate defense;
It is God whom we call upon.
It is God who is worthy to be praised.
When I call upon the Lord, I shall be saved.

Thankfulness in Psalm 18 is for God's ultimate protection in the battle of life. May we begin today and everyday to thank God for being our ultimate protection.

God, thank you for protecting me in these ways:___________________________________________.
In Jesus' Mighty Name I pray. Amen.

Name one thing you are thankful for in this moment.

Copyright 2009 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment