Wednesday, January 6, 2010

God Provides

Yearly Reading: Genesis 20-23

So Abraham called that place "The Lord will provide; as it is said to this day, "On the mount of the Lord it shall be provided." Genesis 22:14 NRSV

Abraham obeys God and carries through with the sacrifice of his son up until the very final moment when God stays his hand and provides the true sacrifice. During the trip to the mountain, he had told Isaac that God would provide the animal to be sacrificed. And, because Abraham was obedient, God did provide.

I am fully confident that God provides as God has provided again and again in my life. However, this story reminds me of the cost of such provision: full obedience.

Am I being truly obedient to what God is asking of me or am I more than willing to just do it my own way? In other words, do I see God's provision as a safety net that I have become dependent on without doing my own part?

How about you - do you see God providing in your own life? Are you being obedient?

Our Father, who art in heaven; hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory forever. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment