Thursday, January 7, 2010

Help Us to See

Yearly reading: Genesis 24-27

He said, "Are you really my son Esau?" He answered, "I am." Genesis 27:24 NRSV

Isaac really doesn't believe this is Esau. First he asks who it is. Then he wonders aloud how he got the food to him so quickly. Then he wants to feel him to see if it is really Esau. He even admits to himself his confusion: this sounds like Jacob but feels like Esau. He again asks if this is Esau. Finally, when the food is brought to him, he smells him and decides this really is Esau.

Isaac is really and truly blind. He does not see physically. But he also is blind to the faults of his oldest son, Esau. This is the son who sold his birthright because he was hungry. This is the son who marries two local women who drive both his parents crazy.  And we know that he has a temper.

In the story of the blessing, his physical blindness is actually a good thing in the end.

Makes me wonder where in my life do I suffer from blindness. Am I blind when it comes to my family? My job? My neighborhood? My church?

In what areas of your life do you suffer from blindness?

God, it may be painful but help us to see. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment