Friday, March 5, 2010

Following Advice

When Saul had taken the kingship over Israel, he fought against all his enemies on every side - against Moab, against the Ammonites, against Edom, against he kings of Zobah, and against the Philistines; whever he turned he routed them. He did valiantly, and struck down the Amalekites, and rescued Israel out of the hands of those who plundered them. I Samuel 14: 47-48 NRSV

Saul was a great warrior. He knew how to win a battle. He was good at choosing the best men to fight on his behalf. He must have been good at motivating and planning, leading troops and making decisions. He wasn't so good at following directions.

I know how that is. I am like Saul in that I really like to do things myself. I have learned over the last few years that the best work I can do is with the help of a great many people. But I still have a tendency to do it myself, while ignoring the best God-filled advice.

Saul hid from Samuel when he was summoned. Saul did not wait for Samuel and did the sacrifice himself. Saul did not see how well his own son, Jonathan, could fight. Saul gave oaths rashly without thinking through the consequences. Saul plans to kill Jonathan because of something Saul himself did, without consulting God. The list of Saul's lack of listening and being open to God's advice just goes on and on.

How about you? Are you good at listening to others? Do you follow expert advice? Do you share the burdens with others? Or do you try to do everything yourself?

God, help us to listen and to follow your directions. Guide our footsteps, Lord! Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment