Saturday, May 8, 2010

As God lives, who has taken away my right, and the Almighty, who has made my soul bitter, as long as my breath is in me and the spirit of God is in my nostrils, my lips will not speak falsehood, and my tongue will not utter deceit. Job 27: 2-4 NRSV

Even if the worst should happen to me, as long as the Holy Spirit sustains me, I will not lie or mislead with my words.

Have you ever cursed God?

Seriously, has life ever been so bad for you that you blamed God for it all?

Have you ever been so deep in depression and felt that God was carrying out ultimate judgment on your soul so that you completely gave up seeing God as good?

Doing a yearly Bible story is just skimming the surface and the emotions that Job is feeling. If you or anyone close to you has ever suffered from depression, you know that you can't just tell them to snap out of it. Their feelings are very real and go very deep. Their soul is quite "bitter." Much of what they say may be from their heart, but from an outsider's point of view, their words may sound far fetched. For those not in their downward spiral, what the depressed person says can seem misleading.

Job is deep into depression -- he is actually lamenting even being born -- yet he never curses God. He knows that if the Spirit is in him, he will not be misleading or deceitful. He has not sinned against God. He just wants to talk (perhaps argue his case) to God.

I think we all should make sure we are having honest and open communication with God at all times. God knows our hearts and God wants to hear even the most bitter words out loud.

God, may I have the courage to always speak openly and honestly with you. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment