Sunday, May 9, 2010

Wisdom

And he said to humankind, "Truly, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding." Job 28:28 NRSV

Which one of your friends would you consider to be a wise person? Is there someone in your immediate family to which you would go for advice? Do you have a coworker that has the experience and the trustworthiness to be your advocate?

In your opinion, do any of these people fear God?

I can agree with Job that not doing evil is wise. But I really struggle with the fearing God part of wisdom. Of course, Job is telling us that God says to fear him is the wise part!

I guess it goes back to my understanding -- or perhaps my need -- to love God, not fear God. A healthy respect is good in my relationship with God. I probably should fear God as God pretty much holds the key to, well, to me. God is my maker, my sustainer, my provider. I suppose I come close to fearing God but not the quaking-in-my-boots kind of fear.

How do you handle fearing God? Do you fear God? Do you think you can be a wise person without fearing God?

God, are we really supposed to fear you? How can I fear you and yet love you? In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment