Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Birds

By the streams the birds of the air have their habitation; they sing among the branches. Psalm 104:12 NRSV

I don't often hear the birds, especially in the morning. But recently I was visiting some relatives in Massachusetts where they keep their windows open all night and they have no "white noise" going on like we do at home. So, I heard the birds. Early. Very early. And very loud. I don't think I slept late often because of the birds.

In actuality it was not that bad. In fact, it felt nice to hear the birds, many of which I was unable to identify. Those early mornings made me think of other happenings in nature that I either ignore or don't notice because of all the noise going on around me. Against what else have I kept my windows shut?

Psalm 104 is a praise to God, especially praising nature. Each verse highlights some part of creation that shows the glory of our creator. Verse 12 comes after the recognition that God is instrumental in even the streams of water. The verse says that a body of water encourages the birds to build their nests in surrounding trees, making their music among the tree tops. Even a small stream does more than provide water - it provides homes and music!

Thank you God, for even the simplest of gifts you have given us in nature. Help us to see all the wonders of your glorious creation! In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment