Monday, June 7, 2010

Sing a New Song

O sing to the Lord a new song, for he has done marvelous things. His right hand and his holy arm have gotten him victory. Psalm 98:1 NRSV

When did you last learn a new song to sing? Was it something you could sing to God? I love the thought of singing a new song to God when God has given us the victory. However, I probably spend more time singing old songs for all the new things God has done in my life. Why don't I learn new songs for each wonderful blessing that God gives to me?

The psalmist wants a new song to be sung, for everyone to pick up an instrument and play, for every voice to be lifted up with a joyful sound and even for all of nature to join in on the celebration. And all this is because God has remembered and brought salvation to the people of Israel - most likely in returning them from exile. God has done something for the community of faith. The only thing left is for all of creation to sing something that has never been sung before.

I suppose one of the reasons that I don't learn new songs to sing is that I have not experienced that kind of joyful celebration. I have not been exiled from God nor a returned to God's favor after exile. How much easier it is just to sing what I already know. Certainly in church we have a hard time singing "new" hymns or songs. Folks get all bent out of shape if it is something they do not know and they probably will not even try to learn it.

But the joy of the community around the psalmist is so overpowering that there is nothing else to do but to join in a new song to God.

May you be moved to sing a new song to God today!

In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment