Tuesday, August 3, 2010

According to My Ways

Today's reading: Ezekiel 5-8

Now the end is upon you, I will let loose my anger upon you; I will judge you according to your ways, I will punish you for all your abominations. Ezekiel 7: 3 NRSV

This verse reminds me of the part of the Lord's Prayer in which we pray: "Forgive us our trespasses (sins) as we forgive those who trespass (sin) against us." I think because the Lord is speaking to Ezekiel that the people will be judged according to "their ways." God is not judging them on who they are. Neither are God's punishments given on a whim. It is the actions and behavior of the people that are called into question. If their behavior is right, then God will be right. If their behavior is wrong, God will punish them. We will be forgiven if/how much we forgive others who sin against us. Straighten up, people, and God won't get mad at you!

If God were to judge you according to your ways, how would you fair?

Do you see any improvements that are needed?

Who have you judged lately?

What could you do to work on forgiveness rather than judgment?

God, you ask us to be right with you. But first we need to be right with our neighbors. Help us to live more in forgiveness than judgment. Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

2 comments:

  1. Geez, Amelia. I wouldn't fare well after a simple morning drive in to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I thought about this post all day yesterday but you are the only one who commented! It does sound like a very punishing God, which is not my belief at all. However, I wonder why we do pray for God to forgive us as we forgive others. I struggle with that and at times struggle with forgiving others. For me it wouldn't be the morning drive as much as where you work! : 0

    ReplyDelete