Thursday, September 30, 2010

Pray For Me

Today's Reading: Acts 7-9

Simon answered, "Pray for me to the Lord, that nothing of what you have said may happen to me." Acts 8: 24 NRSV

Simon has seen the power of the Holy Spirit come upon the newly baptized and he wants the ability to lay hands on others and give them that power as well. He tries to buy that ability from Peter and John with money. They are appalled and Peter pronounces that, unless Simon has pureness of heart, his money will perish with him. Simon then asks for prayer, "that nothing of what you have said may happen to me."

This is one of the places in the bible where I ask myself, "Is he saying this or meaning that?"

For instance, Simon could be asking that he not have to pray to God or be forgiven or have his heart right before God. His words are not clear. I think the lack of clarity has much to do with the translation into English.

But, the words that Peter says first in verse 20 are probably what he is responding to: "May your silver perish with you, because you thought you could obtain God's gift with money!" Simon is asking for prayer that he not die with his money, the thought being that his demise may happen sooner rather than later. But I wonder if he is asking for more than that. Peter wants him to repent and get right with God, specifically to get rid of the bitterness and chains of wickedness in his heart. Is Simon really asking for all of that? Or is Simon only willing to go so far in his prayer request?

Are you asking for all you could ask for? Or are you willing to only go so fare with your prayer requests?

God, help me to ask for far more than I do right now. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment